Silverstone Fun Cup Race report

Discuss or post news on Motorsport and Car Shows

Moderator: Contaminated

Crunchie Gears

Silverstone Fun Cup Race report

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:41 am

I have posted up elsewhere on the forum a little on practice on Friday. So I will keep it brief. The car was, in my view, not bad on first practice. The advantage was we had a second car in the garage being run by PT Motorsport so there was a comparison. Ian was quicker in the othe car so we tried to relicate the setup. They made some real progress but we could not quite get it; bit our car was competitive.

I was feeling good about Silverstone as I have done a few trackdays there in a few different cars so know my way round it. That said I have only done the National track on the PS4. So entering the track knowing Ian had warmed the car up I am on familiar ground. :D :D I arrived at corner two :o :o :shock: It doubles back on itself. :? I reach parts of the track seldom used by anything other than recovery trucks :lol: :lol:

Serves me right for my arrogance :oops:

On Friday the telemetry was not working properly so my driver coaching was just by discribing how to drive the circuit. So I found 2.5 seconds and finished the day on race pace. Reasonably happy with that :) :)

Dick

Re: Silverstone Fun Cup Race report

Postby Dick » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:58 am

Was tracking the car on live timing very consistant laps you could not ask for much more.
Well.done for bringing it home in 12th out of a large field

Nash

Postby Nash » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:28 am

So the car was reliable Paul? Interesting about comparison set ups!

Well done on 12th that seems a consistant placing when the car runs ok?
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:37 am

If you don't spin, you aren't trying :D
It sounds like you're settling in well, I'm looking forward to Brands.

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:43 am

Got home on Friday about 8 pm and eat with Head Office. Then fell asleep on the sofa :lol: :lol: got to bed at about 10 which is really early for me.

Race day:

Woke at 5.30 excited made a coffee and then walked the dog with the Boss. Left at 8 for Silverstone stopped for a Burger king muffin and arrived to see David T, KitKat and Leona parked at the side of the road at the circuit, cool they were wait for David T's parents. Got into the garage and in no time got called to the driver's briefing (nite to self get more organised!!!). Went to the briefing and sat with David T and gang as they were having breakfast. They sat through the briefing and found out that Ian and I had got a pact on who would start the race. If we got drawn on the top ten it would be Ian if not it was me :o

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:32 pm

The Grid is arrange by drawing lots using a tombola wheel. I waited and --- we can out on 16th on the grid so I was starting :? :?

In my opinion not the best strategy as Ian is really good at it and I am not. Ian said he thought I should do it as a learning thing. I couldn't argue so bring it on :D

So. as the grid is already sorted qualifying is a just for show. Someone should tell the drivers :lol: :lol: We used it to scrub in a new set of Giti tyres and do our 3 laps. I find some more time and when we finished (to save our race tyres) one of the guys took a pic of the leader board which when I have it I will post up. But we are posting effective times.

Just before lunch we had another 4 enthusiastic fans arrive to watch, or was it to have lunch :lol:

Kitkat then bought a program and saw we were on the front cover :D Ian and I offered to sign it for her but she declined the offer :evil:

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:28 pm

The Race:

lined the car up on the grid for the grid walk about. Spent the next 45 minute explaining it was not really a beetle :lol: :lol: Ian kept a low profile, and hid round the back of the car when the pit girls came down the grid :lol: :lol: :? He also did not make contact with the TV commentator. :?

The grid cleared and I am in the car :P The countdown boards get shown and on the 30 second one I notice my heart rate has increased (I thought I had handle that but clearly not) . The green flag was waved and all the nerves are gone. I just remember Ian's last words, "Be in the right gear". Pull away for the green flag lap and the rolling start. Cars are weaving so I join in not convenced it will add much heat but when in Rome ----.

Having started from behind the safety car I know that I need to be ready and ensure I do not get left behind. On to the straight, it looks longer at this speed. I close the gap and accelerate past the start finish line. I try and pull over too the inside and the track is full so I am caught on the outside of Copse corner. The stream past on the inside I am pushed to the kurb. I am still on the outside for turn 2 and the same thing happens. So I am now in 26 place out of 28. I am pissed off and this is not fun, really not fun :x :x

I then have to chase the field. To add to my annoyance, it starts to rain. It is heavy. The winscreen wiper give up the ghost. I catchup with and have a battle with a few cars. I even pass a few cars in the rain. Then is stops raining and I am a long way back from the pack. The first stint is over quickly and I am glad to handover.

Ian session is great he moves up to P19 with some great lap times. He then hands over to me.

I really enjoyed this session as I battled with a number of cars, particularly one which was great as we both left enough room and raced fairly for the bast part of the 40 minute stint. We swoped places (sometime 2 or 3 times a lap :D :D ), compromised lap times in the battle but just great fun. I gained 3 places and then lost one to the battling car as I came into the pits. P17

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:22 pm

I need to just mention the pit crew who are great fun and nice to be with but also very dedicated to making the car as good as it can be. They work tirerlessly and with good humour. so salutes to: Ish, Graham, Tom (who manages the pits) and frequently Tracy, who adds some glamour, sophistication and looks after visitors to the garage and the rest of the pit crew; brilliant!

They also add to the discussion. For example the track this weekend is all right hander but for one small curve and one right hand bend. They suggested running different setups from right to left, which worked! Love they engage brain and make a difference both in commitment and thought! I like working with them, they are key :D

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:31 pm

I spoke to Tom in the pits who told me, when it rained, I was running within .1 second of the fasted lap. :D :D Made me feel better about my first session :D :D It also stressed how important the start is!!!! :? :? not only that but half the field spun :lol: :lol:

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:59 pm

I spoke to Tom as Ian was racing he said we had a 40 second gap to the rear but a 60 second gap to the front! Ian drove like tiger. Handed it back in P12. What a star :D :D

Pit stop was just a driver change, no fuel!! quick change, for us!!

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”