Zandvoort Fun Cup

Discuss or post news on Motorsport and Car Shows

Moderator: Contaminated

Crunchie Gears

Zandvoort Fun Cup

Postby Crunchie Gears » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:23 pm

Just got back from a great weekend. Zandvoort is a very good track, one of my favorite circuits, very sunny and a good bunch of guys and girls. 8-) :D :D

So to the racing:

The car was delivered to Zandvoort by JPR, the guys that run the series, and they had rewired the car, new dash, dynoed, adjusted everything and fitted the car up like a reconditioned car. The car looks the part!

So practice on Friday was to find out what the car was like. Well It did not disappoint. :D Ian went out and clocked one of the fastest times straight out of the box. Ian said it is under steering a bit but as he had such a fast time he said leave it as it is. Then my turn and only 2 hours to find my way round the circuit before the race (we normally have all day for me to improve). I did 3 x 20 minute slots. Continues as diner is ready

Dick

Re: Zandvoort Fun Cup

Postby Dick » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:26 pm

Come on dinner is ready get on with the report for crying out loud

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:12 pm

So Saturday driver’s briefing and then grid tomboller. We are drawn 11 th out of 28. Not too bad. Then qualifying I did the first stint and did 5 laps ( you have to do 3). Then Ian did a few laps and then brought the car in with our new suspension had come loose the camber had changed and was carrying a lot of tow in. So my practice time was over as the guys fixed the rear suspension.

Saturday race one! Ian starts. Nothing on the screens. Not allowed on the pit wall until after the first lap. The team, Tom, Stewart, Graham, Lee, Chris and I, are outside the pit garage to see the roofs go by. We are leaping Ian has made 3rd. He has broken the tow. The 3 at the front are away. They are a train down the straight. They are pulling away!

Then the safety car comes out. They said they would not use the safety car unless it was a big problem. They planned to do recovery under waved yellows. Two cars have come off on the very fast turn 8 one has rolled big damage and the fencing has been breached. Drivers are OK but the cars are not good and the fence needs fixing. The safety car came in just before the pit window. So leave Ian is told to stay out for some fast laps as the rest of the field apart from the leaders come in for driver swops.

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:30 pm

I take over but the pit stop is not good. I am in P7 :( That said I have no clue. I am at it. A few laps in to my stint. It crosses my mind that I may not be able to turn the wheel by the end of the race! Exiting the last bend onto the straight is flat and just on the exit with the car trying to straighten the wheels, you have to take your right hand off the wheel to change gear. Holy shoot it is hot as hell and very physical.

Another lap and adrenaline takes over as you need to exit faster to catch the next car and get a tow down the straight.

My stint is over all too quick.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:47 pm

COME ON MAN....more details...

Nash

Postby Nash » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:10 pm

Blimey! This is like Jackanory! Leaving a cliffhanger til the next episode!!!

Come on man!
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:28 pm

Ian is back in and we have not lost a place —— before the pit stop.

Then a lug breaks off the exhaust and we loose the spring. The car sounds like a jack hammer and we get called into the pits to fix it. The pit crew are brilliant and deal with the problem. But we loose laps. We do the driver change and on my out lap the door comes open and I cannot shut it. I am driving holding the door shut. I radio the pits. They say try and stay out until the pit window. No chance so I come in and they gaffer tape it shut and I am out.

We are so far behind it is just for fun. I am still pushing and have a small off. Keep it on the sand but missed the Armco. Broke off half the front splitter. Raced the car to the checkered flag. P20 so some people had a worse day than us.

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:35 pm

So one of the teams who had their car written off bought a new car and had it transported out so they did not miss any racing. This series is mad :?

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:58 pm

Lee and I left the car at Zandvoort and went out with the PT crew 13 in all as they were racing Caterham too.

Had trouble getting a taxi back to the hotel. Got back very late. I have not mentioned Lee has been a star but has had a seriously bad back to the point he needs to get lifted in and out of cars. So in the morning I leave him at the hotel and have to stop some Romanians to help me get me the number of a taxi. So get to the circuit at 7.44 and the boys are already working on the car.

The race is an early one 11.20. All the issues sorted and ready to go.

Started P7 first lap Ian is now P2. Kept the car on the road and finished between me and the pit stops we lost 10 places. No excuses Ineed to go quicker. That said I am quicker down the straight than Ian as I have 3 red light flashing or on the rev limiter if I get a tow. Clearly this is were the talent is needed :lol: :lol: :lol: Or is it just I have lost 3 gallons of ugly fat :lol: :lol:

So thanks to anyone who has read this far. 8-) :lol: :lol: It special thanks to Lee and Ian for a great weekend and the crew for laughing at my jokes.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:01 pm

bloody hell, that's an eventful series!
sounds like you had good crack though - bet you had a good booze on the sunday night too :lol:

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”