Next race 9th June

Discuss or post news on Motorsport and Car Shows

Moderator: Contaminated

Dick

Re: Next race 9th June

Postby Dick » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:54 am

Thought i should post up how Jays day went so hear goes. Thanks to those that came to offer support and yesterday was a day when it was needed. He had been feeling ill for the later part of the week and I had said to him lets not go if your not 100% , he ignored me as usual :D . So we rock up ready as and go over all the normal stuff the scrutineer made a nice comment about using the civic to show others how a car should be built and prepared to race, they even asked what our new black box was bolted to the floor was ? New ballast box and when they asked how it was constructed they replied better than expected.
So qualifying was soon upon us and out they all went me watching lap times trying to work out what is going on , this was soon over and they rolled back into the pits for the head scratching to start. Jay was struggling with the car something was wrong it seemed down on power and had no front end grip. So up in the air and off with the wheel to inspect thing, It soon became apparent that the main issue was front tyre pick up 3/4 of them had a thick layer of old rubber and the remaining 1/3 had worn away but this was a strip about 50mm in from the edge. Jay said you could not see the track for the thick lumps of rubber all over it After sitting down and talking things over we made a decision to replace the fronts with new and drop pressures down to see if it would help, I could think of nothing more we could do. We did do the wander around asking other how thigs felt for them and was told all had suffered grip problems . So onto the race well things went as expected but with some surprising results, Jay had started from 11th for this race and brought the car home in 9th and 3rd in his class so happy with that. He was still suffering with handling but he brought it back in one piece and on inspecting the tyres after the race the pick up was as bad as before but the worn part of the tyre was now missing so I can only think the adjustment in pressure for the race had worked a bit. . After checking lap timings for the day every one was down to the last race. In the race his last 4 laps were faster than the 6 cars in front of him so we need to find out why it works better towards the end of a race.
So we need more racing to give better knowledge and a bit of time to get the civic ready for its next outing. Something we did learn yesterday was remember our ballast box we had fitted well it was a waste of time as no one was getting the weights of there cars checked . Would we have removed it if we had known this ? No we do things our way and chances are if anyone had been on the weighbridge it would have been Jay after all they have put him on every other race. Had other run under the required weights yes they even told us they had some by 35kg. Sour grapes nope Jay can hold his head high

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:18 am

Sounds like another good result - as good as the track conditions allowed anyway. Still early days yet :)

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:07 pm

Good report Dick, difficult track conditions, dry track seems to bring unexpected challenges. Good result in the end.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:36 pm

Well done team and Jay. Never great to have issues on race day. :D Brilliant result :D :D

Larkingabout

Postby Larkingabout » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:19 pm

Well done Jay and team, I feel sure all your efforts will get you to the top step of the podium soon
James
The man in the Red Coat

Jay

Postby Jay » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:54 pm

Really not alot more to add on from dad. I was feeling really positive after the last result so with the weather forcast looking good we were set to go.

Quli went really well we, we put the nankang on looking for ultimate grip. I was not expecting what happend next. No grip. I just couldnt compute it so maybe ended up over driving. The reason for the lack of grip was instead of driving on tarmack we were driving on what felt like an inch of everybody elses rubber. In quli i had the out lap then on the back straight i nailed it flat out through the left only for the rear to come round almost to the point of no return but manged to keep it on the track. I was beating myself up after quli untill dad and neil got the time sheets only to realise everybody had the same troubles oh and i over heated the front tyres. Managed 5th row so all was good again in camp snodhurst.

For the race we decided to throw a new pair of tyres on the front to try and help with the amount of understeer we were getting. I was thinking if i had grip at the front the back can do what it wants as it will pull itself through with more gas.
I got a good start this time learning all the time about the rolling starts as i came to the top of paddock i glanced down the hill before turn in to see if there was any carnage to allow me to make the dicision early to weather i go left, right or on the grass. There was carnage and i chose right. Ended up passing a couple and having a good finish .0270 seconds behind the car infront in the drag race to the line. Another couple of meters i would of had him. All in all another good weekend and good points haul. 10th overall and 3rd in class i'll take that. Cant wait for the gp and going to try for a test day at rockingham in the next 6 week break.
Did any one mention my steering column was broken i could move it up down left and right alot without moving the wheels so not alot of feel of what was going on. I didnt say anything after quli as wilf and carl had checked it out in the holding area before quli and decided there was no possible fix and didnt want to panic anybody. Think if Sonia new i was going out doubting the steering wheel would stay atached to the car she would of fliped the same as everybody else but i was there and wanting to race.

Bring on the next race

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:12 pm

Great report Jay. Brilliant you did not share your doubts and just went for it. :twisted: brilliant :D :D :D

David T

Postby David T » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:20 pm

Well done guys in some difficult conditions. All part of the fun I suppose. Will check calendar to see info can make any the future dates.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:55 pm

Well another good result given the track issues.
Will make more effort to get along soon.
Rich.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Dick

Postby Dick » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:01 pm

To add we/Jay are on a steep learning curve , im sure we have a good car even if it is old, underfunded, underpowered and well outclassed by other in the same group but that's making it more fun. The driver is not doing a bad job of dragging it around taking into account hes only ever done 3 races. We just need to understand the black art of tyres and the management of them. No one will tell you what we need to do all you can do is try to watch the others. We have also got the best pit crew thats a big help and could not do it without them.

Return to “Motorsport and Car Shows”