New member in East Grinstead

So you've just joined, why not say a few words to introduce yourself - a bit about you, your car - whatever!

Moderator: Contaminated

steve m

Re: New member in East Grinstead

Postby steve m » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:29 am

Welcome to the "club"
As the guys above have said, it is worth going out in a 7 first, as they are not for everyone
they are very small cars, except Luegos, very very low to the ground, and certainly on motorways, quite intimidating when the wheel nuts on lorries are higher than the rollbar

on sizes, that will fit in a garage, my car, which is a Locost, so not a mainline kit, but very similar in size to a Westfield, approx sizes
165cm wide at the rear, widest part of the car
250cm wheelbase
14cm of the ground at the lowest point of the chassis, which is under the seats
The front and rear overhangs do rise up, (on mine)

On the driveway front, does your driveway rise up or down from the garage ?
as rising up would be easier to make some temporary ramps to assist,
but drive going down, would need chunks taken out of the concrete!

I am in Rh11 so localish if you would like to try

steve
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

StuP

Postby StuP » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:04 am

The driveway rises up from the road into the garage so I think the point to test is at the top. This does seem a more gradual angle than at the bottom so fingers crossed.. I'm happy that the garage is big enough now, it's just a question of getting one up there!

If you're available at any point and willing Steve, that would be fantastic :)

I view some of the potential negatives of a 7 as positives - the raw and open nature of the car adds to the sense of speed and 'occasion' in the same way as being on a bike.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:50 pm

Hello and welcome :)

I have a drive that is quite steep upwards with an abrupt change to level in the garage. It is steep enough, that when we bought the house, I drove down in my Elan Sprint to check it would go in without grounding. My Caterham Seven goes in without any problem, so I suspect you'll be OK, but checking is a good idea :)

steve m

Postby steve m » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 am

Well, I can confirm that my 7 went on/in Stu's drive and garage, with out any problem
the gear box was the closest part to the ground, but still cleared with an air gap :D

We then went out for a drive, as he had never been in a 7 before, all was fine until I missed a turn, and ended up on someone's very short gravel drive with a very large wooden gate, :oops:

steve
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:06 am

Well done Steve, but we need pictures :D

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:19 am

Welcome Stu. You have got the forum going already :D well done.

I have to say that to get one car off the drive I have four short scaffold planks to raise the car up an inch all round. Bit of a palava but needs must 8-)

Looking forward to getting out (it has been too long) and seeing what you decided to buy :P

StuP

Postby StuP » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:16 pm

Sorry for the lack of replies for a while!

Yes, a massive thanks to Steve who confirmed that I can get a car into the garage, there was a lot of clearance on his car and I now know the vital dimensions to look out for! Was great to meet you Steve, and a fun ride too! Thanks for going out of your way to help me out

Still on the look out, I have had a chance to have a go in an R1 powered MNR which was fantastic, but the clutch was not for me - more like a switch than a progressive action so for road use would be annoying, any traffic or hill/incline starts would be a nightmare.. So I'm mostly looking for a car engined car now as I gather most bike engines will be the same. Thinking Zetec / Vauxhall Redtop to keep it simple, modern(ish) and easy to replace

Tony T

Postby Tony T » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:02 pm

Hello mate i'v got a XE Red Top not a bad choice of engine's you might pay a lot of money for a good red top :o but keep going i might be talking tosh :? see you out some time .You will always get help from this club if they can :)

Tony T

StuP

Postby StuP » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:55 pm

It's been a while.. But I have a good update, I bought a Westfield on Sunday from Leicester :)

Vauxhall c20XE engine and in pretty good nick. I already have a list of small things to look at but nothing of much concern.

Anyway, a quick picture or 2 from the previous owner below. Hopefully will get out to the Woodman on Thursday evening (pistonheads meeting but I found out about it here).

StuP

Postby StuP » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:55 pm

Oh, and it goes in the garage easily! Not much else fits in though..

Return to “New Members - Say Hello Please”