Newbie Yank in Germany

So you've just joined, why not say a few words to introduce yourself - a bit about you, your car - whatever!

Moderator: Contaminated

Dudefladge

Newbie Yank in Germany

Postby Dudefladge » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:02 pm

Hello All,

I was pointed in this direction when I posted on the Locostbuilders forum about a ride along.

I've never owned, ridden or even sat in a kit car, but here I am thinking of buying one! :shock:

I'm a US Soldier stationed in Germany and really miss my car hobby. I want to build my own Locost, but I can't even weld yet so I think a vehicle that is already somewhat put together is a better option at this point. :lol:

I'm very interested in the Ginetta G20 as I've found a gentleman selling enough racing spares to put together a rolling chassis. I'm just going to focus on a track car for now. Getting a kit car or home built cat to pass inspection in Germany is not for the faint of heart and I want to be able to drive this thing before I leave.

I will look for some opportunities to go to kit car shows or get togethers to learn more. Looking forward to getting involved.

Rob

DJ.

Re: Newbie Yank in Germany

Postby DJ. » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:10 pm

Hi Rob, welcome to SKCC :)

You're right about getting kits on the road in Germany, I was talking to a German Caterham owner and he said he wasn't even allowed to change the exhaust on his Seven from the one it was approved with! We're very lucky in the UK.

Dudefladge

Postby Dudefladge » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:31 pm

Hello Duncan and thanks for the welcome.

My previous assignment back in the US had me in Kentucky. You can register and drive just about anything and everything there! :shock:

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:03 pm

Rob- which region of germany are you in? a few of us are down in the black forest end of may, near Wolfach and we will have 2 days where we'll be based there....i'm sure the guys would love to show their cars off and buckle you in for a passenger ride if you get time off....

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:58 pm

Hi Rob

Great you are getting involved with kit cars and the Ginetta is a good car :D There are some great tracks over there too. I do fancy the Bilster Berg Circuit but I may not get round to it this year as I have a bit booked up. :)

If you cannot make Mark's road trip Nash and I are at Spa on the 16 June if you fancy some track action. I would be happy to give you a passenger ride and I am sure Nash would not mind either (you would have to check with him). :D

Wishing you good fortune with your search and build.

Dudefladge

Postby Dudefladge » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:14 am

Thanks guys. I am in Wiesbaden.

I looked through the different events and saw the EU trip. I have a cousin visiting from the US the last half of May, so likely won't be able to get down there for that.

I would love some track action! Where is Spa?

The only real track I've been on is Hockenheim for their touristfahrten events. That was back in 2005-2009 on my last tour here. I took my Dodge SRT4 around a few laps. I wanted to go to "The Ring", but just couldn't make it happen. Maybe this time around...

I plan to do some slalom events once I get a car up and running. I'll make it out to Bitburg to race with 1on1 motorsports.

Nash

Postby Nash » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:44 am

Hi Rob, I'm at Spa with Crunchie as he said and yes a passenger ride round Spa is a great opportunity to see what these cars are all about.

Spa is in Belgium. This it... and me there 18 months ago

https://youtu.be/SSkzZHDMTl8

Given the car Paul is taking (Crunchie) you might want to find the circuit haha.

I'm also on the Black Forest euro trip in May so why not bring your brother along. Plenty cars to jump in

............ Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Dudefladge

Postby Dudefladge » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:42 pm

What an absolutely gorgeous track! Hockenheim is no comparison.

I know I'm going to love the experience... The person I really need to get into the passenger seat is my wife! ;) She is amenable to the idea of getting into this. I can surely see her wanting to get more into a road legal car to enjoy the full experience once she is hooked. One step at a time... :lol:

I will do some more specific calendar match ups to see if I can make something work for either the Euro trip or Spa.

Thanks again!!

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:18 pm

I have not seen the Dodge it with a turbo it must go quite well.

As for Spa, it is for sure one of the best circuits in Europe and Neil knows his way round it :D I will hopefully be going in a Chevrolet LS7 engined kit car so it should suit the circuit if I can keep it on the track :lol: it is my first time round Spa.

Dudefladge

Postby Dudefladge » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:39 am

The SRT4 is a fun car. My son back in the states in college is still driving it.

It has plenty of power and is actually a very practical car if you can keep your foot out of the turbo...

I'm old school and much more a fan of RWD though.

Return to “New Members - Say Hello Please”