Hello from Paddock Wood, Kent ...

So you've just joined, why not say a few words to introduce yourself - a bit about you, your car - whatever!

Moderator: Contaminated

earlybay

Hello from Paddock Wood, Kent ...

Postby earlybay » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:20 am

Hi All,

Hoping for some help and inspiration ...

Im new to the kit car scene - hoping to get involved, on a limited budget (Im sure im not the only one !) - in the past have been into everything from VW campers to 911's ...

I stuck with a budget of about £1500, so thinking Ill look for a Dutton Phaeton - just after something cheap and simple I can tinker with, but is basically already on the road so no IVA and all that ...

Any thoughts ?

Mike

Fury1630

Re: Hello from Paddock Wood, Kent ...

Postby Fury1630 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:41 am

earlybay wrote:I stuck with a budget of about £1500, so thinking Ill look for a Dutton Phaeton

That budget would buy you three good Rickman Rangers, but I'm guessing you want somthing a little sportier??

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:48 am

I suppose the big question is whether you want / need soemthing that is road legal already within that price or whether you'd take on finishing a project that someone else has abandoned. Obviously if its the latter then you have any extra costs of bits n pieces to finish + the IVA cost.
That said occasionally in the CKC mag there are oldder cars that need some TLC. I met a chap a few months back that had paid soemthing like £800 for a Marcos that needed a small degree of attention! Just got to keep scouring the ads in all the usual places! Good luck and keep us posted....

earlybay

Postby earlybay » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:17 pm

Yes youre right - theres a Robin hood S7 on ebay at the moment for reasonable money, but it will need an IVA to get back on the road, and can already see few points that would fail it (eg. no high-back seats, some protrucding edges, etc) so thats probably £1K plus already.

Alternatively Dutton Phaetons seem to come in at about 1500-ish on the road, registered, ready to go ...

greenwood03

Postby greenwood03 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:38 pm

I think like many it was Duttons that got me interested in Kit Cars all those years ago, i remember going to their factory at Worthing and having a test in a 3.0V6 - to a lad of 19 that was mighty impressive :-)

Nash

Postby Nash » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:20 pm

Hi Mike,
Remember its not what you drive its the way that you drive it!

Are you going to Detling? Great inspiration and an opportunity to research what is around. These things are never finished and the beauty is you can keep improving on them.

.......Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Return to “New Members - Say Hello Please”