Hi all.

So you've just joined, why not say a few words to introduce yourself - a bit about you, your car - whatever!

Moderator: Contaminated

DJ.

Re: Hi all.

Postby DJ. » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:53 pm

That's a bummer :(

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:46 pm

Oh yes, very much so, am going to give the bike carbs a bit more time trying to sort them, I may be able to get a Suzuki tech to look at them and help reduce the emissions. At least the head lights are already set up so it's now just the emissions and suspension set up for self center'ing.
so getting a lot closer to a pass ;)

Jason

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:03 am

Yeah, that's an interesting point about bike carbs - bikes don't have an emissions test for their MOT, so no need to get them working efficiently.

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:31 pm

I've made a contact through locostbuilders who used the exactly same carbs on a 1.6cvh and a 2.0 zetec. I have copied the jet sizes and it sound really good, the jet screws that I have to adjust now are a pain in the A to get to easily, I will be trying about 6 different screwdrivers to try and get to the 4 screws, having already tried 2 and only been able to get to the outside two carbs, I am getting there though and i'm a lucky so and so for passing the noise testing at IVA, as this new head and better tuned carbs make the exhaust bark now :lol:

Jason

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:50 pm

A new update after this weeks work on it.

The engine is now back together and water tight, a slight weep from around the rocker cover, but I can live with that at the moment.
I set up the head lights and then tried the emissions, sadly a thermostat wire had come loose and at the time of testing, it blew its nose and emptied its water all over the mot station !!

Next visit let me sort the stat issue and re fill of the water works, then a pressure test showed where the water had exploded from, thankfully just a re seating of a pipe needed on the thermostat housing and tightening of the jubilee clip once more cured the problem. So i fired it up again and found that no.4 was running colder than the others by quite a lot and removing the plug lead didn't change the engine note. I borrowed an infrared thermostat and it showed the same on that exhaust manifold part. So engine water drained again and carbs off to inspect. Cleaned out no 4 and then bathed each carbs jets in cleaner for an hour and then reassembled them but with no 4's jets in no 1. It started on the button and ran really well until I twisted the throttle a few times seriously and then it started to burble again, so i checked the temps again of the manifold and low and behold, no 1 was now playing up showing the same temp as no 4 was previously.
This time I couldn't be bothered to take the manifold off again so i took off the bowl of no.1 carbs and removed the idle jet. Took a while to find anything small enough to get down the jet to try and clear it out, but with alternate poking and blasting with compressed air, it started to blow through better. I repeated this a few time for good measure but couldn't get any more air through it so put it back in and reconnected the fuel line and it fired up even better this time. I pulled over the emissions testing machine and the h/c were almost non existent !! but the c/o was three times the limit, then over three or four adjustments, I have finally gotten a passable result with 283 h/c (1200 the limit) and 1.8 c/o (4.5 the limit).

So next thing on the list is tracking and steering, although I have proven that the steering is light enough for a 7 so it looks like the geometry is the issue and next week I'll be looking to get it set up on a laser set up as before, otherwise it'll mean either a new top wish bone on the right, or cutting off the brackets and welding then back on a bit further back. Next week will be the tell tale last issues I hope before I can call the test centre to see the testing situation.

Jason

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:00 pm

I hope they don't keep you waiting too long for a retest.

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:19 pm

Cheers, the retest should only take about an hour so I should be able to fit in most days quite easily.

Jason

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:41 am

fingers crossed for you....

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:45 pm

Jason

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:33 pm

Just a little update, the guy who is doing the final set up for me has just been told to self isolate, so the build time continues while the IVA re-test waits a bit longer.

Jason

Return to “New Members - Say Hello Please”