Hi all.

So you've just joined, why not say a few words to introduce yourself - a bit about you, your car - whatever!

Moderator: Contaminated

DJ.

Re: Hi all.

Postby DJ. » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:25 pm

Sorry to hear that :(

If you need to borrow an engine hoist in the future, try asking on here. Mine is in Eastbourne so not exactly central, but a decent hoist and load leveller makes like a lot easier!

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:48 am

Cheers for that, I'm hopping that all I have to do is get the head reworked so that the short block can stay where it is connected to the gear box, taking the engine completely out is my last resort as the last time i did that, i wiped off the speed sensor in the tunnel at the same time :(
It could be back in a bout a week or so, and by then i hope to have the headlight brackets painted, with the headlights aligned. Then it's just about the final welding and suspension set up :D

Jason

locost220

Postby locost220 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:10 am

Sorry remind us about the final welding and suspecion issues ?
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:49 pm

The final welding is just tidying up the engine mounts from underneath, the tester didn't fail them, just said they looked like bird poo so I want to impress him by tidying them up :D Then it's just resetting the front suspension set up to a Caterham CSR settings like he did before i had to adapt the wishbones bolts, upsetting the self centering on one side.
I have three months left on my IVA retest so hopefully even in the winter I can get it back to Gillingham without the transporter i used the first time as it's now been sold.

I forgot to say that the other bits of welding that were done on Thursday were the Westfield headlight bracket support tubes were welded in as well as the chassis plate was welded back on, this time on all 4 sides.
Will hopefully get back to the garage this week to paint the brackets and plate, and top up the brake reservoir, it dropped below the cut off while i cured the leak, and isn't leaking any more. :D

Jason

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:19 pm

Well, I suppose It could have been worse, not by much but at least it's not a total wreck.
The head needs serious work, and the main bearings are tired, the cam is shot along with the followers, and yes I managed to wipe off the speed sensor again removing the engine.
At least the engine will be very refreshed when it goes back in.

Jason

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:11 pm

That's a pain :(

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:18 pm

engine starting to go back together.jpg
Hi all,

It's coming along, I've fitted the new cam, had to fettle the bearings make sure it turned easily. also fitted new followers prior to the cam ;) I've also fitted the new piston rings to the skimmed pistons and have now fitted the piston into the bores along with new big end bearings and it's all bolted up correctly with the cam timed too. I also have new front and rear seals to fit so fingers crossed I can get the bottom end bolted up before the new head arrives next week.

If only Xmas was still a few weeks away I'd be able to get it running for my Xmas present !! :D

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:37 pm

Just a quick update,
It's now rebuilt and back in the car. It starts and has had the timing sorted. It is a bit noisier than I was expecting, although most is from the exhaust based on the free flowing head works. So covid restrictions permitting, I will need to run it in after sorting the suspension and head light set up.
Then it will be down to the covid lock down if I can get it re tested yet or if I'l have to wait until we get released back into the wild again.

Jason

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:47 pm

Good luck, I hope you can get it done before the good weather and hopefully freedom comes :D

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:49 pm

Cheers, sadly the cooling system blew its nose this afternoon after my fan stat became disconnected from the wiring connector somehow :cry:
And the emissions are a bit too high still even after i changed the jets and it runs nicely. So I think I'll need to borrow a std inlet manifold and carb to get it through the IVA :cry:

Jason

Return to “New Members - Say Hello Please”