Future MK Indy Owner

So you've just joined, why not say a few words to introduce yourself - a bit about you, your car - whatever!

Moderator: Contaminated

Graearea

Future MK Indy Owner

Postby Graearea » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:53 pm

Hi there, time to say Hello.
I've finally caved in to my self and committed to buying an MK Indy R. After years of wanting a Caterham and not being able to justify the cost I've finally figured out I could get something just as impractical, more ridiculous and for half the money. After some years of owning, tracking and loving my 130i with a Quaife and all the M3 bits you can throw at it, I've decided it's time to stop burning money on tyres, pads and discs and simply buy something that is faster than a Renault Clio.

I live in North London (primo kitcar land) and have found that the council will rent me a garage for not much money. so I'm free to chase after a car now. I'm in the market for a BEC with the R chassis and full rollcage with the side impact bars (which is the thing that has attracted me to MK at Stoneleigh, I love the rollcage design). I'm not too picky about which bike engine as it's my first car and I want to be sure that it will suit me so I'm not demanding a Hyabusa.

Is anyone within an hour or so of NW5 that would be happy taking me out for a spin? I'm still in two minds about building or buying but need to go for a ride in a bike engined car before I can really be sure.

Is anyone selling one? I've been looking at eBay and FB. am I missing some?

Nash

Re: Future MK Indy Owner

Postby Nash » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:55 am

Hello John and welcome to the club. Couple of the guys are bec boys now on here and will be along to say hello at some point I’d imagine.

I’m an Indy owner that isn’t a bec boy but happy to let you have a passenger ride at some point of it helps.

Indy is a great choice (I’m bias of course) I’ve had lots of adventures in it since I built it 10 years ago. Here is a link to my YouTube channel documenting those adventures.

https://www.youtube.com/user/nashrace

Once again welcome

..... Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:45 am

Welcome to the club
I also have a Indy but again it's a car engined one.
Good luck with finding the car that you want, one thing to watch for is that it is registered correctly there is one on eBay at the moment but it's registered as a red rickman which it clearly isn't.

Kegco

Postby Kegco » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:34 am

Hi John,
Welcome to SKCC
I’ve got a pair of tigers both with old skool tuned pinto’s
One will be coming up Forsale soon
But not a Bec or a Indy :D
Good luck with your search
Kev
7oaks
ST170 Tiger cat E1
2.1 Tiger cat E1
Mini Rod73 (track toy)

Graearea

Postby Graearea » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:59 am

Thanks all. Neil I’ve already come across your channel. All very good.
Matth93 wrote:one thing to watch for is that it is registered correctly there is one on eBay at the moment but it's registered as a red rickman which it clearly isn't.

Oh wow. Such a minefield. My friend with a Nova and a hotrod had warned me about this. Why does this imply? Is it then impossible to insure? It’s a cloned VIN?
I might contact them and ask as it’s exactly what I want apart from the horrific bonnet bulge

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:01 pm

If it’s the one I’ve seen then it looks like they have used the v5 from a Rickman to put the Mk on the road they might have stamped the rickman chassis no into the Mk but basically it’s a ringer. The way to put that one legally on the road would be to Iva it and re register it.

Nash

Postby Nash » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:45 pm

John,
Don’t touch it! At the very least you’ll have to IVA it which means you will have to make sure it’s compliant, which means you will need to go over it with a fine tooth comb, which means money.

There are plenty of correctly registered BEC Indy’s about just keep looking
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi John, correctly registered basically means that whatever is on the V5 corresponds to that make/type of car. The cheats way of getting a kit registered in the old days was to just use an old donor and smoke about in a kit that was still (supposedly) a triumph herald. Latterly some smart arses use lower value kits like a rickman or whatever else and call their 'mk/tiger/whatever' a rickman kit car.
as the others have said....avoid!
when enquiring about any car, just ask what its registered as on the v5....noting that some tigers for example may just be a 'tiger' on the v5 and not a tiger r6/s6 etc....that is not a problem, as it is indeed a tiger and often those omissions were genuine dvla faults.

wont totally get into the bec vs car engine, suffice to say, have a good think about where and how you'll use the car and who'll fix it if there's an issue. Met an old member recently who traded his bec westie after a year as he felt like a knob driving in around the built up area where he lived. Can't think of any bec's up your way...but can always get down to this neck of the woods (kent/sussex and meet up with someone thats got one)...
btw - if you're set on a mk no probs, but know a guy with an R1 engined fury down in Croydon area....an ex-member who has decided that its time to sell.Not caged but has the petty strut if i recall. Nice car, think he was after 6-7k.

Graearea

Postby Graearea » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:02 pm

Wow, thanks for all the feedback.

I'll keep away. I contacted the seller to ask what the score was and he just gave the expected "it's fine, I've got it MOTd and insured" but I figured the thing to do would be to have to IVA it and I don't really fancy that pain.
I am really quite sold on the MK with the cage. it's what sold me on the type of car. I won't be driving it much around my way (in fact I'll be garaging it nearby) and using it for trackdays and maybe the odd trip around. I will be sticking a bike rack on the roof of the cage to get my bike places when it's nice :D

I do have a couple of questions.

do becs have _any_ security? it was asked when I enquired about insurance.
is the performance of hyabusa's that much different to the various 1100s?
I assume the cages are weld in so if I find one that is perfect apart from the cage I can take it to MK and have the cage powdercoated and fitted?
when insuring it, do I tell them about every single little thing like with my BMW or do they just accept value and engine? I assume these things are a little bit like triggers broom.

thanks all ! J

David T

Postby David T » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:12 pm

Mine is Tiger Avon as the make on the V5 with no model. I challenged DVLA but they insisted this is correct. So yes they are not always In the expected format but should at least be the right car!

Return to “New Members - Say Hello Please”